The InterFAX online fax service provides technical, physical, and procedural security measures to ensure confidentiality and integrity of faxes sent in the healthcare industry. Our HIPAA fax solution helps EMR providers and health care organizations send faxes, while complying with HIPAA regulations for information flow and exchange.
|Transmit medical information by fax without compromising security||Automatic fax deletion upon delivery|
|Full audit trail||SSL/PKI encryption of faxes on server|
|User authentication||Secure fax servers with zero maintenance|
What is HIPAA
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) makes it mandatory for health care providers and organizations to improve the efficiency of electronic transactions, while ensuring the security and confidentiality of information.
HIPAA has changed the way healthcare organizations send, receive, and store confidential information. Organizations must implement security and privacy measures that protect the confidentiality and integrity of "individually identifiable health information" being transmitted electronically. Thus, HIPAA regulations affect the security measures required when faxing medical data between healthcare providers, patients, and other entities. This is a key factor in choosing a HIPAA fax solution in the health care industry.
InterFAX Security Measures
InterFAX provides a range of security features to help organizations comply with HIPAA regulations:
- Audit trail - our online fax service provides a full audit trail of faxes sent and received through our servers. The audit trail can be viewed online, and can also be tracked using mail confirmations sent to the sender of a fax.
- Encryption - faxed messages can be delivered in encrypted formats, whether SSL or signed email (PKI), so that so that patient-identifying information can be delivered securely.
- Automatic fax removal - messages containing sensitive content can be automatically deleted from our servers upon delivery. This ensures that no person, including InterFAX customer service staff, can view patient-identifying information.
- User authentication - our system authenticates users and operators of the online fax system with a username and password, enabling you to enforce the appropriate access rights.
- Physical security - all our servers are housed in secure environments, which can only be accessed by approved personnel.